Today two friends and I took a daytrip to Boulogne sur Mer. It’s the first time I have left Lille since my arrival here. On the way there the train was definitely taking the scenic route, which I did not mind at all, becayse it is indeed very scenic. Driving by the beautiful little red-roofed villages and haphazard farms reminded me of the things I love about Europe. As did the man fishing on the canal and the herds of fewer than ten cows. (You don’t seem to see those much in the United States.) It was a good time to reflect.
And after we got to Boulogne it became a good time to walk barefoot in the sand and wade along the edge of the ocean.
I had a good Legolas moment walking on top of sand that looked as if it should be soft and sinking. I also enjoyed the sound the sand made when I skimmed my toes over it. Following our picnic on the beach we found our way to Centre Ville. (A very small Centre Ville.)
After scoping out the cafes, we settled on one with some potentially interesting-looking music equipment set up. We sat down inside, and were shortly joined by the café’s dog, who remained with us nearly the whole time. Ivana and Cait were delighted.
I think the bartenders must be the owners as well, and it was fun watching them greeting and chatting with locals who came in, some obviously friends and regulars.
Nor were we disappointed musically. The (English speaking) musician put on a show that set the saleswoman in the shop across the way dancing.
Here is Ivana’s paparazzi shot of the musician.It was a good day.
2 comments:
So beautiful! I'm glad that you've had a chance to get out and about...
Yay! Oh, I loved those train rides through the French farmland. Very quaint. Great pictures too! Especially on the beach - it totally looks like a Legolas moment. :)
Post a Comment